Top 10 Sustainability Hurdles for Businesses in 2013
1. There are too many metrics that claim to measure sustainability—and they’re too confusing.
2. Government policies need to incent outcomes and be more clearly connected to sustainability.
3. Consumers do not consistently factor sustainability into their purchase decisions.
4. Companies do not know how best to motivate employees to undertake sustainability initiatives.
5. Sustainability still does not fit neatly into the business case.
6. Companies have difficulty discriminating between the most important opportunities and threats on the horizon.
7. Organizations have trouble communicating their good deeds credibly, and avoid being perceived as greenwashing.
8. Organizations need to have a better understanding of the people within the regions where they are conducting business.
9. There is no common set of rules for sourcing sustainably.
10. Those companies that try leading the sustainability frontier often end up losing.
For how businesses can hop over these hurdles, check out these articles:
If you would like to learn more about business sustainability, please check out the following articles: