Holiday Recycling Tips
Here are a few recycling tips to keep in mind during the holiday season:
Purchase holiday cards and wrapping paper that is labeled “made from” recycled material and better yet labeled “made from post-consumer” recycled material.
- Purchase holiday cards and wrapping paper that can be recycled. Foils and multi-layer cards with non-paper layers are not easily recycled.
- Purchase holiday and year-round cards that are remade from old cards. St Jude Ranch for children creates these cards as a fundraiser and learning tool.
- Use one of the recycling drop-off sites if you have more recyclables than will fit in your bin.
- As you are receiving those online orders shipped direct to your door, please make sure the boxes are recycled.
- Properly dispose of your old computer that’s been replaced by a newer model. Disposing varies from recycling materials, to reusing components by a charitable organization. Earth 911, a non-profit corporation, has a listing of companies all across the nation. Visit their website Earth911.com, to learn more.
- Recycle your natural Christmas tree at one of the metro area collection sites.
- Remove your name from mailing lists of any catalogs you no longer wish to receive.
- Give environmental gifts like reusable tote bags, lunch bags, travel mugs, house plants, bird feeders, bird houses, homemade foods and handmade items.